BCP Pairing Sessions: #18: Fall Edition – Low, Slow and Groovy
BCP Pairing Session: #18: Fall Edition – Low, Slow & Groovy
Cigar: Sumatran Boomsticks
Eats: Beef Carnitas
Why It Works: Making a tasty meal shouldn’t be more daunting than battling deadites, but sometimes recipes can be harder to understand than incantations from the book of the dead, so lets keep this pairing simple. The beef carnitas bring the spicy, the margaritas bring the sour and the sumatran boomsticks split the difference on the flavor wheel to make it all groovy.
Recommended Sumatran Boomsticks:
B: Cuban-seed Dominican Pilotico
F: Cuban-seed Dominican Pilotico
F: Nicaraguan and Honduran
W: Ecuadorian Sumatra
F: Cuban-seed Nicaraguan and Dominican
Beef Carnitas Recipe:
2 lbs flank steak
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 yellow onion
2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salsa, cilantro and/or guacamole/avocado slices
- In a small bowl, mix the chili powder, salt, black pepper, cumin, garlic, onion powder and cayenne pepper to create a rub for the flank steak. Apply the rub throughly and place in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Chop up the onions, peppers and jalapeño, then add them to the crockpot.
- Turn the crockpot on LOW and let cook for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, shred the meat with a fork and let cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat the tortillas on a skillet before spooning the carnitas on them. Serve with your choice of any combination of salsa, cilantro or guacamole/avocado slices.
Kick it up a Notch: If you’re having this pairing, and the bookshelves of the world aren’t crashing in on you at the time, treat yourself to some Mexican Ice Cream for desert. Take a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream, put them on a sheet of wax paper and freeze it for about an hour till it’s firm. In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup of crushed cornflakes, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
When the ice cream is firm, roll it in the crumb mixture and then freeze it again for another hour. Serve that bad boy with some honey, and you’re golden.