BCP Pairing Sessions #6 : Summer Edition – The Long Weekend
BCP Pairing Sessions: #6: The Long Weekend
Cigar: Killer Corojos
Eats: Bacon & Bleu Cheese Burger
Why It Works: Burgers are a staple throughout the grilling season, and a good one will make you brave the winter chill to get one last firing in around December, when you can only stand so much Holiday cheer you need some bloody red meat to balance yourself out, so it’s important to have a simple, yet brilliant burger recipe that can consistently deliver the goods without taking a month to prepare. Dash, dash, dash and drench, prep on the Bacon & Blue Cheese Burger doesn’t get much easier. And since this is a pairing that is all about simplicity and self indulgence, I’m not going to nibble on the edges here, I’m going with my favorites, the hoppy IPA and spicy Corojo combo.
Recommended Killer Corojos:
B: Costa Rican
F: Costa Rican and Nicaraguan
Bacon & Blue Cheese Recipes:
Blue Cheese (crumbled)
- Take your ground beef and shape them into burger patties. You can size them out how you see fit, but I tend to go with a medium sized snowball blob of beef that I shape down to about an inch thick puck.
- You gotta earn your spurs with this one and eyeball the seasoning amounts, but I like to cast a hearty dash of salt, pepper and garlic powder on the patties before soaking it in worcestershire sauce. My version of a hearty dash is a proper coating, and by soaking, I mean get it drenched. Once you got that done, mix your patties up again, so all the seasoning is spread throughout the pattie and your back to inch thick pucks.
- Start your bacon on a strip of tin foil on the grill. The bacon can take between 7 and 15 minutes, depending on how hot the grill is, so plan accordingly to have everything finish around the same time.
- While the bacon is going, start your patties on the grill. I like to go low and slow, turning the patties often to ensure an even grilling till I hit that juicy medium-rare range, but you can cook them to your desired degree.
- On your final turn of the burger, if you’ve timed the bacon right, you can cross the strips of bacon over the burger before topping them with a mini mound of crumbled blue cheese.
- Give it another minute or so, till the cheese starts to melt some, before pulling the burgers off the grill and serving them on English Muffins.
Kick it Up a Notch: Have you heard of S’Mores? Treat yourself and save some room for a top 5 desert on any list. Take a sleeve of single serving size chocolate bars, some jumbo marshmallows and a box of graham crackers and revel in some gooey, chocolate goodness.