Cameroon wrappers typically lend a sweet, buttery flavor to a cigar. The Cameroon wrappers are grown in West Africa and are considered by many cigar aficionados to be the best non-Cuban cigar wrapper. Other countries including the Dominican Republic have been successful in growing Cameroon wrappers. Cameroon leaves are sun-grown producing a darker leaf than shade-grown varieties. Cameroon wrappers can best be described as rich, oily, toothy wrappers with prominent veins. Because of the small size of the leaf most Cameroon wrapper cigars have smaller ring gauges.
Here are a few of our favorite Cameroon stogies:
1. H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon: The full-bodied cigar from the Dominican Republic was awarded 92 points by Cigar Insider.
2. Oliva Serie G Cameroon: This medium-bodied Nicaraguan cigar received 92 points from Cigar Insider.
3. Rocky Patel Vintage 03′: The medium-full bodied Rocky Patel Vintage 2003 is made with a silky and gorgeous Cameroon wrapper.
4. La Aurora Preferido # 1 Natural: This medium bodied smoke from the Dominican Republic was rated 89 by Cigar Aficionado.
5. CAO L’ Anniversaire Cameroon: This stogie was created to commemorate the company’s 30th anniversary. The toothy Cameroon wrapper offers a buttery flavor and aroma.
How do you feel about Cameroon wrappers?