Smoke Notes Cigar Reviews: Avo Syncro Nicaraguan
Avo Syncro Nicaraguan Robusto (5×50)
F: Nicaraguan, Peruvian, Dominican
Factory: O.K. Cigars, Dominican Rebpulic
Fix your eyes and palate upon a rare synchronization of tobacco’s harvested from four different countries. Avo’s decision to put “Nicaraguan” right on the band was a smart move; this cigar is completely different from the sticks that make up the rest of their portfolio. It’s bold, spicy, and overflowing with mouth-watering flavor. This marks the company’s first regular production cigar to contain Nicaraguan tobacco, and if this is the direction the company is going in… consider me unconditionally on-board, front and center.
- Aromas wafting off of the wrapper and foot smelled of earth, sugarcane and apples while the cold draw offered an overwhelming, crisp, juicy apple flavor accompanied by wet tobacco.
- The smoke opened up with deep black pepper, soft, chewy bread, pastry like aromas, and a touch of red pepper. From the first draw I knew this was not going to be your daddy’s Avo.
- It didn’t take long for some transitions to come in the first third, with earth, cream, damp wood, and meat flavors joining in the chorus and making for one of the most complex smokes I’ve had lately.
- There was a point in smoking this stick where there were so many flavors per draw, I couldn’t catch them all. I felt almost punch-drunk from the onslaught of tasty notes and the flavor report below is just a fraction of what I was able to catch.
- Another anomaly about this cigar, aside from it being a major deviation in blend profile for Avo, was the strange, dark tooth on the wrapper, like little freckles from the approaching summer.
- The stick continued to pump out creamy, woody earth for the remainder of the smoke with notes of apple sweetness, barnyard, and spearmint all making appearances throughout the final third.
Flavor Report: Bread, Black Pepper, Red Pepper, Pastries, Earth, Meat, Cream, Damp Wood, Apple, Barnyard, Spearmint
I’ve always been a fan of the Avo brand in general, but this is a whole new ball game. The Avo Syncro Nicaraguan is absolutely the most flavorful smoke in the brand’s portfolio and if you haven’t tried it yet, do yourself a favor and pick up a box of what I think is one of the best releases of 2015.