Smoke Notes Cigar Reviews: Macanudo Inspirado Black
Macanudo Inspirado Black Toro (5 ¾ x 52)
W: Habano Connecticut, United States
B: Vega Especial, Dominican Republic
F: Dominican, Nicaraguan, Honduran
Factory: General Cigar Dominicana – Santiago, Dominican Republic
Initially debuting in Europe, this bold, full-bodied offering from General Cigar Co. has finally made its way onto U.S. shores, providing Macanudo cigar fans with something a few shades darker than the bestselling Cafe.
Featuring a proprietary binder, dubbed “Vega Especial” (also used on the company’s Cru Royale line), as well as a habano-seed wrapper grown in Connecticut by the United States’ oldest farm, this cigar is a powerhouse of flavor and strength that will likely destroy any prejudice lingering in your mind when Macanudo’s name is uttered.
- Taking a whiff of this dark, oily wrapper gave scents of cream, dried fruit, earth and black pepper. The cold draw harbored dense notes of earth, oak and black pepper as well.
- Not wasting any time, this cigar got right to business in the first few puffs with wood, earth, dried fruit with a long cocoa powder and red pepper finish.
- One inch in brought a sharp transition to a delicious creamy earth flavor with a cinnamon finish and the red pepper growing in intensity.
- Despite mangling the cigar upon lighting (pro tip: definitely opt for the multi-torch butane lighters on a windy day), the burn pleasantly surprised me by correcting itself. Maybe their proprietary binder has its own AI?
- In the last third the cream flavor became more prominent as a sweet cherry note moved in as well. Finally, a sweet, pastry-like flavor joined the everlasting red pepper on the finish.
Flavor Report: Red Pepper, Cocoa Powder, Wood, Earth, Dried Fruit, Cream, Cinnamon, Cherry, Pastries
Much like my last review of the Avo Syncro Nicaragua, this release is much bolder and more flavorful than the company’s prior lines, a welcome trend. While I’m not a regular Macanudo smoker, the Macanudo Inspirado Black totally blew away all expectations I had and made me look forward to what else may be coming. Pick up a box of these and brace yourself for an all new Macanudo experience.